Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 2011 Art Bead Scene Monthly Challenge


I'm hoping to become a bit more regular at designing pieces for the monthly challenge over at Art Bead Scene. Each month, the ABS editors post an image of a painting or other work of art, and jewelry designers are invited to interpret that image in a piece of jewelry, using art beads.

In reviewing the May inspiration piece, Cache-cache (Hide-and-Seek), 1873, by Berthe Morisot, I realized that I've already got a necklace that echoes the lovely greens and browns in Morisot's painting.


This is a mixed media art charm cluster necklace/eyeglass holder/badge lanyard, featuring a bunch of my lampwork beads and six mixed media art charms.

My co-author, Peg Krzyzewski made the bullet casing/mini-light charm, and I made the others, including the very cool wire-wrapped vintage sheet music bead. (Special thanks to my dear friend Ceu Ratliffe for sharing her awesome stash of vintage sheet music with me!) Other art charms include a faux Asian coin with a tiny green stone dangle, my steampunk-themed art charm in brass with tiny watch parts, my shrink plastic vintage travel-themed charm, and a lucite leaf with one of my swirly green beads as a dangle.


The necklace includes a 1/2-inch split ring with the charm cluster, which enables the wearer to stash a pair of eyeglasses or add a badge for work.

All of the designers entering the challenge post pictures of their work on Flickr's Art Bead Scene page. Please take a few minutes to visit and view the amazing work posted by my colleagues!

You may view more of my work at my ArtFire studio.

No comments: