Monday, August 02, 2010

Art Charms With a Theme

One of the best things about art charms is that you can create a truly customized piece of wearable art. I had the recent good fortune to work on a commissioned piece, with a theme of Hecate, the ancient triple goddess. Since I wasn't familiar with Hecate, I began with some research, which I forwarded to my client. My client reviewed and approved the notes I'd gathered, and selected the color scheme (royal purple, black, and silver), then I began work.
Above are the individual art charms pinned to a Styrofoam board, and following are a few pictures of the finished bracelet.
 
This art charm bracelet works as a cuff - my client selected memory wire for the base of her bracelet instead of chain. The advantage of memory wire is that no clasp is needed - just wrap the bracelet around your wrist as you would wrap a Slinky around your wrist.
You'll notice that I created a mini-lotus fold book for this bracelet - it contains the Wiccan Rede "an it harm none, do as ye will." Since my client is a fellow Washingtonian, I attached the mini-book to the bracelet with a lobster clasp - which will allow her to remove the mini-book in case of rain.

Many thanks to Kathy, my client, for making this opportunity available to me, and to my daughter Emily for being the awesome hand model that she is!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Another really gorgeous piece, Chris!

Chris Hansen said...

Thanks very much Peg - it WAS a tad bit difficult to part with...guess that means I'll be making another royal purple/black/silver art charm bracelet. :)