Saturday, March 20, 2010

Faster Disaster (or...From Bad to Worse)

my poor baby in his temporary splint - the neck wrap is over his Fentanyl (pain management) patch

It's turned out that Rufus really likes our vet - he went and shattered his hock Thursday night as he galloped around the yard. The bone holding his Achilles tendon in place was broken, and there are more fractures as well. It’s broken horizontally, vertically, and there is a compression fracture.

Rufus is scheduled for surgery Monday morning, and as you might imagine, it will be a very expensive procedure. The estimate is $2,500-$3,000. His bill from the other night’s ER visit was $500.

We are raising two kids and three greyhounds and we are in no way prepared for this financial catastrophe.

I am reaching out in the hope that someone might consider helping us. Here are a few ways folks can help:

1. I am a freelance writer with 12 years of experience writing non-fiction articles for trade and consumer publications, both print and web. In addition to articles, I have also written copy for websites, brochures, and press releases, and I’ve edited three books as well. If you know of anyone in need of a writer or editor for hire, I’m the girl!

2. Also, I am a glassblower and jewelry-maker. My work is for sale at www.christinehansen.artfire.com – I make earrings, mixed media charm bracelets, pendants and necklaces and more. I try to have work available in a range of prices, and am busy working to put more items up on the site. Every purchase will help tremendously.

3. Forwarding/posting this message wherever you can will be a real help. Getting the word out about my writing and jewelry will help me to earn money for Rufus’ vet care.

4. If a person doesn’t need a writer or jewelry, but still wishes to help out, donations may be sent to:

Rufus Hansen Surgery Fund (please make checks out to Mountain View Veterinary Hospital)
Mountain View Veterinary Hospital
4620 Whitman Lane SE
Lacey, WA 98513
(360) 438-9623

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this!

No comments: