Monday, December 22, 2008

AGCD Unveiled!


I'm thrilled to announce the Art Glass Color Database wiki, which will serve as a free on-line collaborative reference for all flameworking glass artists. Following is the official press release:


For Immediate Release


Christine Hansen
The Art Glass Color Database
chansenwriter@msn.com
http://glasscolors.wetpaint.com/
http://www.christinehansen.com/


Art Glass Color Database Unveiled

Olympia, WA – December 22, 2008 – Announcing the Art Glass Color Database wiki, a cooperative one-stop resource for all flameworking glass artists, offering information, tips, and tricks on working with specific glass colors. Initiated by Christine Hansen, glass artist and freelance writer, the AGCD wiki provides glass artists with a central location to find and share practical information on individual colors of all COEs.

“This is a huge project, and will be most helpful with input from as many artists as possible” says Hansen. “We need your input, no matter how experienced you are or what kind of equipment you use. Even if you don’t have all the information for a particular color of glass, please post your experience anyway. The cooperative nature of a wiki means that many people can contribute and someone else may be able to fill in the blanks.”


Hosted by Wet Paint, the AGCD wiki has been designed to be as user-friendly and intuitive as possible. Artists wishing to contribute to the AGCD wiki need only register with Wet Paint, sign in, and start posting.


“We also need glass manufacturers to help build the wiki, and to help keep it current,” says Hansen. “We appreciate any information manufacturers can provide, for existing colors as well as new ones (colors, product numbers, testing specifics, and anything else relevant).”

The AGCD is organized by COE, manufacturer, type of glass (transparent, opaque, opalino, specials, etc.), and color.


To enter information on a particular color, please include as much of the following as possible:
· color name and manufacturer product number
· picture of color (400x500 pixels max photo size, 500 kb max file size)
· characteristics of the color (stiff/soft?, burns/devits easy?, striking or reducing color?, reactive color?, etc.)
· what colors work well with this color
· what colors do not work well (may be helpful to include why this is so)
· tips and tricks for working with this color
· acceptable substitutes for this color
· your torch make and model
· your fuel type and oxygen source
· anything else you feel folks should be aware of when working with this color

# # #

Thursday, December 18, 2008

An Altered Door

I've been busy with a number of projects lately - finished up five (or was it six?) ArtCharm swaps with Amber Dawn's I.C.E. group (I.C.E. is short for International Charm Exchange), finally finished my Angel Tags and Snowflake ATCs for my Altered Art Swaps group, AND I, uh, altered, yeah, that's it, ALTERED, Emily's door.

Archer had attacked her door with some sort of blunt instrument, resulting in a number of holes...additionally, he'd scrawled colored markers on it, and used her address stamp a few times to make sure it was thoroughly tagged. Em's been unhappy with her door ever since, so I took some time last week to do a serious makeover on it. Here are the pictures, before and after.


The details: We spritzed and wiped down the door before we began. It was primered already. I used the cheapest wood glue I could find from the dollar store, and thinned it down with some water, about 50/50 water and glue. I used the kid's paintbrushes, 'cause I don't want glue gunking up MY brushes. We brushed the glue mix on the door, laid down the papers, then brushed more glue mix on top of them. I think I also did an extra coat of glue on top of everything once it was all down, to help protect it (but that was a week ago, so I can't remember for sure, LOL). I think Emily didn't know what to expect when I first suggested the idea of collaging her door, but she's delighted with the new look!

The strategy: I dug into my extensive stash of vintage foreign texts, handmade papers, ephemera, pictures, magazine clippings, vintage music, scrapbook paper, pages from a weekly calendar, wrapping paper, and selected a few little embellishments to dress up Emily's door and make it a little more presentable. We started on the "back" side of the door first, the side that Emily sees when she's in her room. Emily helped glue stuff down, as did Jerry. Archer's excited to start on his door - I've got a bag filled with papers and ephemera to use on his door. I pasted big text pages down first, then did doodles or small pictures on top. I also used mesh tape and joint compound to fill in the holes. We pressed the paper down, so it would conform to the door's molding detail. Enough talk, here are the pictures: